Why I'm Never Going Back to Acrylic Nails


So anyone who knows me knows I always have long nails, usually with nail art that matches whatever is going on that month. This goes beyond just cute hearts for valentines day or red glitter for the holidays...
Last year I had a full on painting of Kendrick Lamar on my nails before I went to the DAMN. Tour. I also had Beyoncé and Drake themed nails...I did galaxy nails, chrome, quartz...all the trends and then some!
I just can not keep up with the maintenance and money it takes to keep these things up! The salons are charging so much now---everything is extra. And with my job I'm always breaking one and then I have to go take an hour out of my day to go get it fixed. Ain't nobody got time...
Not to mention the money, I swear I spend between 40-70 a month at the salons--it's too much!
No more!

So I tried to learn how to do acrylics at home---this did not end well admittedly...the fumes in my house made me sick to my stomach...they are not easy to do on yourself, and take twice as long. I started to realize acrylics aren't for me--they are ruining my nails, with a little bit of research I can tell they aren't good for your nails, the chemicals involved can cause nail separation, burning, pain, and swelling. And the stiffness of the hardened acrylic is dangerous for your nails, I can confirm that, I can't count how many times I've jammed my nail or broken it and its caused me pain until I can find time to get it fixed.
No more!

So I decided to look at alternatives. Whew! Why didn't I do this sooner?! My nails now take me about 15 minutes to do and they last just about as long...

Follow these steps if you want to save time and money and still keep your nails on point:

First you'll need a few supplies (all available at Amazon):
-Nail clippers
-Wooden cuticle pusher
-Cuticle Oil (love this milk and honey one)
-Nail File 180 grit
-Nail Buffer
-ECBasket nails (come in my favorite shapes coffin and stiletto)
-Nail glue
-Polish and embellishments of your choice!
-A table, tray, or workspace

Now that you're all set up, you can start!
1. Cut your nails to desired length (I keep mine pretty short because I'm weird about seeing them underneath)
2. Push back your cuticles
3 Use your nail file and buffer to file and add some grit to your nails (This will help the glue bond, and your nails will stick for longer)
4. Pick out your nail sizes, and file if needed to match desired size, length and shape (the nails in the link are pretty spot on, so I don't need to do a whole lot of filing as long as I pick the right sizes)
5. Take your glue and apply directly to the back of the nail, then press up and into your nail bed to avoid air bubbles
6. Hold each nail on for 10-20 seconds until dry and secure.
7. Finish applying all nails making sure to keep straight and avoid bubbles (don't worry if you get them at first, it takes some practice)
8. Paint and decorate nails as usual without breaking the bank or wasting your life in the salon!

Each set can last about 2-3 weeks if you take care of them! Basically the same as acrylics...any longer and I'm going to get tired and want to switch them up anyway--so this is perfect for me.

Let me know if you try it out at home, and tag me @craftycake27 and #CCnailedit

No comments:

Post a Comment